The Art Gallery of South Australia was founded in 1881. It is located at the heart of Adelaide’s cultural boulevard, North Terrace, between the South Australian Museum and University of Adelaide.
The VCA Art Collection spans the entire history of the College and its predecessor, the National Gallery School of Art (first opened in 1867).
Comprising painting, sculpture, photography and works on paper, most works are by students, staff or alumni.
The Margaret Lawrence Australian Ceramics Collection was bequeathed to the VCA Collection in 2004.